One industry that has greatly been directly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic is the beauty industry. As we continue to practice the general safety measures put in place, one other measure that should definitely be employed is the use of clean / disinfected tools and accessories. At CVL Beauty, we encourage our clients to come in with a set of clean brushes or to purchase a new set from our brush and accessories line.
Today, we will learn how to clean our makeup brushes by answering some frequently asked questions.
First of all let us have a look at the parts of your brush.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CLEAN MY MAKEUP BRUSHES?
For individuals- It will be a good practice to clean your brushes after each use, however the longest time to go without cleaning your brushes should be a week. (Avoid sharing your brushes with others).
As a professional makeup artist, you should always use a new set of clean brushes on each client. Do not work with used brushes on a new client. It is advisable to have a large collection of brushes and to clean them always to avoid the reuse of dirty brushes on a client.
WHAT DO I NEED?
To clean your brushes, you will need a combination of the items listed below:
- A bowl or a sink
- Luke warm water
- A soft washing sponge
- A cleaning pad /your hands
- Coconut oil
- Baby soap/ a mild dish washing soap
- A towel/ paper towel
HOW DO I CLEAN MY BRUSHES?
Now that you have your items ready let’s begin.
- Dip only the bristles of your brush in a half-filled bowl of lukewarm water.
- Pour a generous amount of detergent in your hand or on your cleaning pad and swirl the brush in one direction. Repeat this process till the bristles are clean.
Note: for lipstick, concealer, foundation and liner brushes; the use of coconut oil makes cleaning very easy.
- Avoiding soaking the brush in water or dipping the ferrule and handle in the water since this will lead to faster deterioration of your brushes.
- Use your soft sponge or wet towel to clean the handle and ferrule of your brushes.
- While washing your brushes you can soak your beauty blender in water. Avoid washing your beauty blender with oil because it easily absorbs oil and that can ruin your makeup application.
- Now rinse your brushes and beauty blender under running water till the water runs clean.
- You can pat them dry first with a clean towel then lay them out to dry in an open airy space.
- Never dry your brushes with the bristle pointing up. The water in the bristles will drain into the ferrule and handle (especially the wooden types) and this will weaken/deteriorate your brushes much faster.
HOW DO I KEEP MY WASHED BRUSHES CLEAN & ORGANIZED?
Once your brushes are properly dried, keep them in an organizer such as the CVL Beauty Boss Pouch or Roll Pouch. This will keep your washed brushes clean, organized and protected, and will also mould the bristles, back in their original shapes.
PRO BOSS POUCH http://cvlbeauty.com/product/pro-boss-organizer/
WHY SHOULD I BOTHER TO CLEAN MY BRUSHES?
To prevent infections and bacteria growing on your brushes which can lead to extremely serious skin problems.
Besides bacteria, brushes also accumulate dead skin cells and oil, which can also clog your pores and lead to dull or broken out skin
It is important to clean your brushes to avoid getting any form of infection and for professionals spreading any infection to your clients.
Clean bristles will assure a smoother application. Even the best makeup products can become streaky and patchy when applied with a dirty and lumpy brush.
As a professional makeup artist, using clean and well-organized brushes creates a good impression about your brand to your clients.
Regular cleaning keeps bristles soft, and that means they’re less irritating to your skin.
Your brushes life span is longer – Regular maintaining and cleaning ensures your brushes last longer which will save you more money in the long run because you won’t have to keep replacing brushes.
Thank you for reading!!!
Shop our individual brushes on here. http://cvlbeauty.com/shop/
Do you have any additional tips for keeping your makeup brushes clean? Share them with our readers in a comment!
Create a video of yourself washing your brushes and tag us on IG @CVLBEAUTYOFFICIAL.